Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Italian Zucchini Wheels

We let the zucchini go a few days too long. Someone had given me a recipe similar to this and I modified it to use the tomato powder and Monterey Jack cheese that I had on hand. It turned out great. It tasted like pizza crossed with the zucchini lasagna I make. I loved it, and half of my kids really loved it. It was a fabulous way to use up the gigantor squash from the garden. It also cooked quite quickly – pretty fast meal. This will become a staple in late summer at our house.

The tomato powder tastes great when reconstituted, but we have been adding a little sugar and salt, especially when making Italian dishes, and have found we really like the outcome.

2 very large zucchini – 15” long, 6” diameter was the size I used

Monterey Jack cheese

Olives

½ c butter

1 tsp minced garlic or garlic powder

2 cups water

¾ cup tomato powder

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 T Italian seasoning

Saute garlic in butter. Combine tomato powder, water, salt, sugar and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Slice the zucchini 1” thick. Dip zucchini in garlic butter mix, lay on cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Spoon on Italian sauce, put on olives and sprinkle on cheese. Grill on BBQ on low for about 15 minutes. (Be careful with cheese on grill – so you don’t have a mess).

No comments: